What's New

 With the Northern Pacific Railway Museum?        

 

 

 

Home

Northern Pacific Railway Museum

Museum Schedule

NP 1364 Steam Engine

Northern Pacific Freight Train

NP 642 Spreader

Toppenish, Simcoe & Western Railroad

Education Program

Volunteering

Membership and Donations

Map

Contacts

 

 

   
October 21, 2011 Progress continues on the museum's 1941 Ford Railway Express Agency truck.  The chassis restoration is complete.  The van body needs one more coat of paint and then reinstallation on the chassis.  Plans are to complete the truck restoration before spring so it can be taken to the local parades.
NP 1364 restoration is again proceeding well under the guidance of Andy Breeding.  As of the end October 2011 the spring and brake rigging is now installed  (though not on this August 2011 picture) and repairs are proceeding on a damaged brake cylinder. 
On September 12, 2011, the museum was honored by another visit from the Horseless Carriage Club of Skagit and Snohomish Counties.  It was a treat to see their traveling museum.  A number of automobile clubs have made the visit to our museum.

 

  Note the beautifully restored Stanley Steamer.

Thanks to Todd Fogelberg the new 1364 tender tank is nearing completion.  Todd sandblasted the rust from the tank and the new paint job is nearly  completed as of  September 2011.  Soon the tank will be mounted onto the 1364's original tender frame which has had an extensive rebuild.

Many thanks to the local BNSF crew who spent a little time training a new tamper crewman on our new loading dock track.  As of June 2, 2011 the track is now finished and looks great.

Thanks to Steve Hayden of Ellensburg, the depot now sports a reproduction REA sign which hangs in the place of the original which  is long gone.
On April 9-10 the museum hosted a very successful Work/History Weekend.  A major accomplishment was the restoration of the spring rigging to NP engine 1364.  Other work included work on NP 1238 caboose and work on the body of our REA truck.  All doors, windows and attachments were removed in preparation for it's repainting.  Part 1 of Kent Sullivan's program on the Northern Pacific Sumas line provided the history portion of the weekend. Photo shows Todd Fogelberg, Andy Breeding and Bob Culp as spring rigging installation progresses.
Several months ago museum members were saddened to learn of the death of another NP veteran, Darryl Lynch, who was the Toppenish depot agent at the time of the last passenger runs through Toppenish.  Late in March we were advised that the family wished to donate several items that were in his possession.  These included a ticket box and the Toppenish Railway Express Agency safe which Darryl had obtained at the time of the depot closing. These two items have now been placed on display in their original positions in the depot.  Also included were a number of other items including the Alladin lamp shown alongside the ticket box.  This lamp has the appropriate shade to go with the Alladin Model B lamp which is on display in our 1908 caboose, NP 1238.

The museum's 1940 Ford Railway Express Agency truck is undergoing a ground up restoration.  As of April 1, 2011, the rebuilt engine has been reinstalled and runs great.  The chassis is nearly completed and work will soon begin on the box.  Friday work parties began with the bare frame in January of 2011.  

Work is progressing again on NP 1364.  On January 29, 2011, hot riveting of the braces to the firebox tube sheet was completed. 
December 19, 2010, was the last day of Toy Train Christmas for 2010.  This was the seventh and most successful year of the event.  Already plans are being made for 2011 for an even better year.

 

October 2010 the new display/work track alongside the loading dock is in place.  Ballasting and tamping is proceeding.
On August 21, 2011, as part of the museum's annual railroad show, we were lucky to have two retired railroad telegraphers visit. "LR" Keith and Del Klakken from the Ritzville NP depot museum were kind enough to demonstrate railroad telegraphy and "hooping up" orders.  They also provided our museum with a mechanism to operate our telegraph sounders  
On June 16, 2010, our 1908 wooden caboose, NP 1238, gets its first run in many years.  After a great Work/History Weekend, the volunteers who worked on it were treated to a ride.  Many thanks to Nalley's Fine Foods for donating the caboose.
May 11, 2010  Our newly constructed pump car gets rave reviews from the kids on school tour.
Spring, 2010, Engine 12 sports its new coat of paint
Our Northern Pacific kerosene shed was originally located next to the Toppenish section foreman's office.  On 8/2/2001, the  BNSF donated it to the NPRY museum.  It has now been restored to its pre-1940's appearance and restored with a new metal sheathed door, fabricated  to be identical to the rotted one that was removed.

What's New Archive

What's new 2001-2009

 

Hit Counter