THE REBUILDING OF THE CAB
THE CARPENTERS GO TO WORK
The original cab in Mineral 1994
(above) Doug Shearer securing the slats on the cab
(below left) Doug using a router
The original cab was brought to the museum to use as a pattern. It was then laid out on the ground in organized piles similar to an archaeologist when trying to reconstruct an ancient artifact. This demonstrated the joinery which was reproduced in the new cab.
(from left) Dave Siegle, Jerry Boekholder, Ken Severson, Doug Shearer
The arch beams are laminated 2x6 and the curve was cut on a band saw. A previous attempt to steam the boards and bend them had failed.
A very happy crew has completed the roof using the tongue and grove technic typical construction schema used in the early 1900s by Baldwin. (from left) Dave George, Fred Fisher, Ken Severson
Huston! We have a problem; it doesn't fit!
The eagle has landed!
Vic Hanson refurbished the pilot (or cow-catcher) in his garage.
"Special Delivery for the 1364!!"
Dave George (late and former 1364 CMO) and Vic Hanson
A proud day for Vic Hanson when he witnessed the mounting of the pilot, a project in the making for 28 years. Vic started with the group in Nallys Valley when the 1364 was moved from Pt Defiance in Tacoma WA.