THE 1364 ARRIVES IN TOPPENISH
The 1364 arrives at Toppenish on June 19, 1994. Immediately the enthusiastic crew went to work. The exterior was wire-brushed and repainted. The severely rusted studs were drilled out and replaced with new studs machined in house. Even though in Toppenish's dry climate, she was out of the rain but not out of the weather. The summer heat made it difficult for the volunteers and winter cold wasn't much better.
A workshop was badly needed. The crew went to work and removed the old wood floor, dug out the basement and put up retaining walls and concrete floor to allow for track to be put in the building. Although the freight house had been prepared for such, the trackage rights to the house was in dispute. Negotiations ensued with the Burlington Northern. Finally in 2001 the museum was able to purchase the yard track and gained the rights to extend the track into the newly converted engine house. This now became a working workshop complete with stand up pit. Compliments of military surplus we, being a non profit museum, were able to purchase machine shop and fabrication equipment and stock a carpenter shop with wood working equipment.
With the new shop done and the track completed to the shop it was time to put the newly rebuilt trucks under the 1364 making it easier to roll in the new building.