2152 PASSENGER SERVICE ON THE YELLOWSTONE BRANCH
Early record show the 2152 operating passenger service out of St Paul, the eastern terminus of the NP. Gradually she worked her way westward and was hauling passengers to Yellowstone National Park. Gardner was considered the gateway to the park as it was just outside of the park. A 55 mile spur line connected Gardner with Livingston, the main line for the NP.
The double headed train arrives at the Gardner Depot. Double heading is a term when 2 locomotives are hooked together. This would be done when speed is needed for a long or heavy train. Please note the second locomotive, the 2152
The Yellowstone Arch is the entry way to the north end of the park. Teddy Roosevelt in 1903 laid the cornerstone of this arch.
Photographs above taken by Ron Nixon July 11 1941
Back in the days before automobile stagecoaches would haul passengers into the park. Their luggage and other supplies like food were hauled by the wagons on the left.
Eventually the auto took over and the park system purchased limos to transport people to the lodges and other attractions. Incidentally Glacier National Park also ordered limos as well to run passengers from the Great Northern. However the Lake McDonald Lodge has maintained their limos and presently uses them to run over the "Going to the Sun" road.
Click on the map to the left to enlarge.